Foot pain causes
Causes of foot pain
- Being on your feet for long periods of time
- Being overweight
- Wearing shoes that fit poorly or do not have much cushioning
- Having flat feet (fallen arches)
- Walking or doing other sports activities too much
- Getting an injury, such as a broken bone, sprain, or stress fracture
- Having plantar warts
- Having foot problems such as bunions, calluses and corns, or hammer toes
- Having conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, nerve problems, circulation problems, or gout that may cause problems with the feet
Abu-Laban RB, Rose NGW. Ankle and foot. In: Marx JA, Hockberger RS, Walls RM, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:chap 58.
LeCursi N. Sports shoes and orthoses. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2015:chap 115.
Molloy A, Selvan D. Ligamentous Injuries of the Foot and Ankle. In: Miller MD, Thompson SR, eds. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2015:chap 116.
Reviewed By: Dennis Ogiela, MD, orthopedic surgeon, Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.