The last nine months may have seemed to last forever, but now you're on the home stretch. This section explains what happens on the delivery day - and will help you anticipate the steps that make this day a genuinely remarkable and memorable event.
- False labor (Braxton-Hicks contractions)
- The signs of true labor
- The three stages of labor
- Procedures that may take place during labor and delivery
Approaches To Childbirth
- Bradley method
- Strategies for getting through labor
- Tips for labor coaches
- Pain relief during labor and delivery
Special Delivery Situations
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Breech birth and other positions
- Group B strep
- Membrane breaks prematurely
- Passing your due date - what happens?
- Abruptio placentae (detached placenta)
- Placenta previa (placenta blocks cervix)
- Multiple birth pregnancies
Reviewed By: Irina Burd, MD, PhD, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.